2007 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 19 Aug 2007 02:02:56 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Alameda Point (CA) townhouses

Alameda to ask Navy for reins to vacant facility
Council wants to lease abandoned property as housing

By Alan Lopez
Inside Bay Area (CA)
August 18, 2007

ALAMEDA = The city has taken a step forward last week in giving new life to otherwise vacant, moribund military housing facility located at Mosley and Singleton avenues near Alameda Point.

Owned by the Navy and used by the Coast Guard for about 10 years, the property, consisting of 280 aging townhouses, is known as the North Housing complex.

The City Council last week authorized the city manager to approach the Navy with a request for a lease and caretaker agreement for the property. The request could potentially allow the city to take over the maintenance of the units and lease them as housing once again.

"We definitely want to do this because we don't want that housing to become blighted," Mayor Beverly Johnson said.

For the entire article, seee
http://www.insidebayarea.com/localnews/ci_6657478