2006 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 9 Jan 2006 22:49:50 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Concord (CA) looks at Glenview (IL), El Toro (CA)

CONCORD'S GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY

Concord watches, learns from other bases

By Ryan Huff
CONTRA COSTA TIMES (CA)
January 9, 2006

Faced with redeveloping the closed Concord Naval Weapons Station, city
officials are searching the country for successful models.

They can look east to Glenview, Ill., for an example of how to do it
right. And they can look south to see what went wrong in Irvine.

In Glenview, about 20 miles north of Chicago, what was once a naval
airfield is now the village's hottest new neighborhood, with a luxury
golf course, 10-screen multiplex and rows of much-needed townhouses.

"We now have all this stuff we never had before and we didn't have the
space for it anywhere else," said Larry Carlson, Glenview's former
village president.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/13585095.htm