2006 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 20 Sep 2006 17:05:07 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Broadway complex (San Diego, CA) "should be world class"

Navy complex should be world class, council says

By Mike Freeman
San Diego UNION-TRIBUNE (CA)
September 20, 2006

Take the time to make it world class.

That's the message the San Diego City Council sent yesterday to hotel owner Doug Manchester and downtown redevelopment agency officials regarding the Navy Broadway Complex, the controversial 15-acre waterfront site earmarked for offices, hotels and shops.

"This project is extremely important to our city," said Councilman Ben Hueso. "We don't have many waterfront opportunities. It's really a cultural desert. I'm hoping you can make this a world-class project."

In a somewhat unusual meeting, the City Council heard presentations and took public comments on the marquee project, which has been dubbed the San Diego front porch. The city held the four-hour session even though it has no say over the project, according to a legal opinion issued from the City Attorney's office.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20060920-9999-7m20broadway.html