2005 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 29 Jun 2005 16:39:52 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Connecticut labor grant

State Gets $1M Federal Grant To Help Areas Affected By Potential Base Closure

By ROBERT A. HAMILTON
New London Day (CT)
June 29, 2005

The state has received a $1 million grant from the U.S. Department of
Labor to help it prepare for the possible closure of five military
installations in the state, including the Naval Submarine Base in Groton
- money it gets to keep even if it overturns the Pentagon closure recommendations.

"We appreciate the federal grant, though we certainly will continue very
effort to keep our bases open," said Gov. M. Jodi Rell in announcing the
grant to bolster job retraining and assistance programs in towns
affected by the base realignment and closure or BRAC recommendations.

"We intend to make the strongest possible case to the BRAC Commissioners
at our meeting in Boston on July 6 and to keep on fighting until the
base - and its contribution to our economy - are safe," Rell said.

http://www.theday.com/eng/web/news/re.aspx?re=EC2BEDB6-90CF-4B29-88F8-A123A9208BBA