2005 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 9 May 2005 15:58:56 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] "Worst in unlikely"

Past shutdowns show worst is unlikely

BY TERRY SCANLON
Daily Press (Newport News, Va.)
Kansas City Star
May 9, 2005

ANNISTON, Ala. - (KRT) - In July 1999, Anniston Mayor Gene Stedham went to Washington to beg for help.

Fort McClellan, where generations of soldiers had trained for war, was going to close. Stedham and others in Anniston feared the worst.

"The very survivability of our community is threatened," he told Congress.

Stedham's views were shared by most people in town and generally represent the initial reaction by leaders in cities across the country when bases are targeted for closure. But more and more in recent years, communities are proving the loss of a military base is not a fatal wound.

"At first, I was devastated with it in mind, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be," said Ken Joiner, the chief government official in Calhoun County, Ala. "There's life after Fort McClellan in Calhoun County."

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/nation/11601272.htm

-- Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 http://www.cpeo.org