2012 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 15:29:32 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Whole Foods building on Brooklyn (New York) brownfield

TO:  Craig Hammerman
District Manager
Brooklyn Community Board #6

FROM: Michael Sinatra
Public Affairs Manager, Whole Foods Market
Northeast Region

DATE: October 9, 2012

RE: Update for Whole Foods Market at 3rd Avenue and 3rd Street

It is with great pleasure that we are writing to update members of Brooklyn's Community Board #6 on the construction of our planned Whole Foods Market store at the corner of 3rd Avenue and 3rd Street. After many years of hard work by our development team – and with the support of so many community members – we are now finally under way with the construction process and look forward to bringing Brooklyn residents their first Whole Foods Market next year! Since we’re sure you’re likely getting questions from area residents about construction timing, next steps, etc., we thought it might be helpful to provide you with a quick update on our efforts:

Remediation/brownfields cleanup of the property officially complete – While we had actually completed the physical remediation of the property some time ago, we were awaiting the final step in the cleanup of this brownfield site, which was the receipt of our official “certificate of completion” from the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation. We received the certificate earlier this year and therefore the site is
completely and "officially" remediated and ready for construction.

Site preparation now under way – As our neighbors may have noticed, our contractor has completed demolition of the remaining deteriorating structures that were on the property and is now preparing the site for construction. This first phase – including site
surveys and test pile driving – should be completed in the coming weeks.

For the entire letter, see
http://www.brooklyncb6.org/_attachments/2012-10-09%20WF%20Update.pdf