2012 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 16:47:42 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Joseph Medwick Park, Carteret, New jersey

Carteret park reopens after contamination cleanup, other upgrades

By Sue Epstein
Newark Star-Ledger (NJ)
September 30, 2012

CARTERET - Most of Joseph Medwick Park in Carteret closed about six years ago when heavy metals were found in the soil and buried drums of pesticides were discovered near the Rahway River. Now, after three years of cleanup and other work, including construction of new athletic fields, the park has reopened.

"We went above and beyond in our caution and work in ensuring that this park exceeded health and safety standards," Freeholder Director Christopher Rafano said. "We take great pride in our county park system and bringing Joseph Medwick Park back to beneficial use illustrates that pride and our commitment."

The contamination was discovered late in 2006 when the county ordered that tests be conducted as part of the cleanup of tainted soil the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers stored in the park during a salt marsh restoration project for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf/2012/09/ carteret_park_reopens_after_co.html