2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Robert Hersh" <b_hersh@verizon.net>
Date: 14 Sep 2007 20:40:03 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] brownfields and Microsoft's Virtual Earth program

Please see below for a response from one our subscribers to our earlier
posting about EPA's use of images from Microsoft Virtual Earth to monitor
institutional controls at contaminated sites.  (BH)

"Microsoft's virtual earth allows the EPA to obtain images (not just
aerials, but other angles as well) from one source.  Depending on which
source(s) they use now, they can also probably get it more often.  It saves
a lot of time/effort and improves accuracy. I don't know if the resolution
is better.  There will still be need for other layer (i.e., land use,
assessor, Sanborn) and tabular (i.e., ownership, previous use, ICs, etc.)
data to "join" (a GIS term) with the imagery.

So, in short, the imagery makes part of their job easier and perhaps more
reliable."

Bob Hersh
CPEO