2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 7 Sep 2007 23:27:45 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Tallevast (FL) development approved

County OKs Tallevast project
The Forum is first development slated for area in seven years

By NICHOLAS AZZARA
Bradenton Herald (FL)
September 7, 2007

The large plume of underground toxic waste in Tallevast might not be shrinking, but perhaps the stigma surrounding the area is.

A light manufacturing facility is on its way to the northwest corner of U.S. 301 and Tallevast Road. By a 4-2 vote Thursday, county commissioners signed off on The Forum, marking one of the first commission-approved developments in the area since the 200-acre plume was first reported seven years ago.

Several Tallevast residents opposed the development because they said building in the area could disturb the plume and further congest an already crowded intersection.

"We're asking for protection of both physical safety and health," said Wanda Washington, vice president of FOCUS, a Tallevast advocacy group. "There could be contamination problems all over the place. We have too many issues to work out to allow them to proceed with the project."

http://www.bradenton.com/local/story/139945.html