2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 23 Aug 2007 16:05:38 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Solar Energy Consortium at TechCity, Ulster, NY

Scenic Hudson likes solar at TechCity

By Robert M. Miraldi
Kingston Daily Freeman (NY)
August 22, 2007

Scenic Hudson, an environmental group focused on the preservation of the Hudson River Valley, is thrilled that the Solar Energy Consortium is utilizing TechCity in the town of Ulster, the former site of IBM, for its soon-to-be home base.

"Unfortunately it is often easier and cheaper for a developer to clear cut and bulldoze a new site," said Scenic Hudson President Ned Sullivan. "Our green space, our forested areas, should be preserved as open space and used for public and recreational use, particularly in a region where farming and tourism remain important elements."

It might seem only fitting that the Consortium - a project aimed at maximizing renewable energy from the sun - would make its home at a site that has been largely vacant.

TechCity Director of Business Development Tom Kacandes said, "Why plow up farm fields for new development? We don't want to see this on the banks of the Hudson. We want to preserve the rural character of Ulster County."

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18733299&BRD=1769&PAG=461&dept_id=74969&rfi=6