2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: bobh@np.craigslist.org
Date: 20 Aug 2007 13:55:37 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Brownfield to become LEED neighborhood

Former brownfield slated for green project

The Toronto Star
Aug 18, 2007 04:30 AM

The site of a former trucking terminal is slated to become an environmentally
friendly neighbourhood.

Tridel's future Metrogate community in Scarborough has been selected for a LEED
Neighbourhood Development Pilot Project. LEED, which stands for Leadership in
Energy and Environmental Design, promotes a whole-building approach to
sustainability by recognizing performance in five key areas: sustainable site
development, water savings, energy efficiency, materials selection, and indoor
environmental quality.

"We've been bringing LEED buildings to market; now we're bringing a LEED
community," says Jim Ritchie, senior vice president, Tridel. "The entire site was
formerly a brownfield, the home of a trucking terminal, and we are recycling
materials from the site such as cement and asphalt."

The site is seven hectares and will eventually contain 2,100 condo units, a 1.7
acre park and some retail components. Ritchie says the community will be primarily
highrises with six towers, and all the buildings, including the townhomes, will be
approximately 30 per cent more efficient than standard buildings built to code.

For the entire article, see:
http://www.thestar.com/living/article/246389

Bob Hersh
CPEO