2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Lydia Tan" <ltan@bridgehousing.com>
Date: 23 Jul 2007 16:22:23 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: RE: [CPEO-BIF] developers stated preferences re subsidies

Kris:

Interesting survey results...Yes, it all depends on your tax status.
Those who are working from a taxable entity would probably want tax
credits and at the same time eschew grants, since grants would be
taxable and therefore only 70 cents per grant dollar would be going to
the project.

If BF tax credits work the way low income housing tax credits work, we'd
have to give away the majority of ownership to a tax paying entity in
order to take advantage of the credit, which doesn't really work if you
are accessing pension fund dollars to take on redevelopment.

The other way we have done projects that meet a public benefit goal is
to contract with the public agency to do the work.  We actually are then
able to conduct our own contracting process (hence avoiding low
unqualified bidder), and the "income" that comes in for the work is
offset by the expenses we incur, which is something that might not be
able to happen if we were the developer taking a grant and having to
capitalize the expenses instead as a result. An interesting question for
a tax attorney or accountant.

Lydia Tan
Executive Vice President
BRIDGE Housing Corporation