2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Joe Schilling" <jms33@vt.edu>
Date: 29 Jun 2007 18:15:32 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: RE: [CPEO-BIF] Novel "Brownfields" designation in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan

One the one hand, I do agree that all of the key players (state and local
govts, the developers, and the community) could benefit from a more careful
examination of the use and eligibility of BFs grants and incentives.
Perhaps there could be some general principles or criteria so that selected
projects are those that in fact really need the assistance and/or the
project will produce holistic benefits for the developer and the community.

On the other hand, one of the great things about the comprehensive and broad
definition of BFs in the Michigan law is it allows for the revitalization of
vacant and abandoned properties that might not meet the technical definition
of BFs. Such a broad scope should encourage more area-wide approaches to
neighborhood revitalization instead of just an isolated project here and
there.

Joe Schilling

FYI...I will difficult to reach until July 15th taking care of our new twin
boys (Thomas and Jack) who arrived safe and sound on June 19th. I will
respond to e-mails every few days during this period, depending on sleep....