2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 10 Jun 2007 18:02:34 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Nyanza vapor intrustion, Ashland, MA

Work begins on homes near Nyanza

By David Riley/Metrowest Daily News (MA)
GateHouse News Service
June 8, 2007

Ashland - Federal officials have started installing equipment in about 40 homes to protect residents from potentially harmful vapors caused by contamination from the long-closed Nyanza dye company.

Contractors began the project last week and so far have equipped basements in two homes with what are called vapor mitigation systems, said Jim DiLorenzo, a project manager for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Work already is under way in about five more homes, DiLorenzo said. The installations are expected to take all summer to complete.

"Whether it extends into September, we're not sure," Jim Murphy, a community involvement coordinator for the EPA, said yesterday. "For each home, we look at roughly four to five days of work."

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/homepage/x1289426018