2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 30 May 2007 16:51:02 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] BCP Data

In trying to understand the reuse of contaminated properties, I've always compared the anticipated cleanup costs against the VALUE OF THE PROPERTY, not the proposed project cost.

To make the reuse of contaminated properties competitive with "green" properties, government agencies offer subsidies. This is particularly important for "upside down" properties, where the cost of cleanup outweighs the value of the land before cleanup.

I can see how agencies might want to maximize the investment (project costs) resulting from particular subsidies, but that's only one measure of a project's usefulness to the community.

When I first received Larry's data, I asked him if they had collected information on property value. He said that they hadn't, because the parties to the transactions are hesitant to give out those numbers.

Lenny