2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 5 May 2007 18:16:43 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Traverse City (MI) parking questioned

'Smells of promises made'
Two local officials ask state to review brownfield site

By VANESSA McCRAY
Traverse City Record Eagle (MI)
May 3, 2007

TRAVERSE CITY — Deni Scrudato and Christine Maxbauer had seen enough.

The city and county commissioners watched as a West Front Street development survived several setbacks, including an overwhelming voter veto, and positioned itself to use $5.49 million in state brownfield funds for public parking.

The two local elected officials considered the expenditure a potential misuse of the captured school property tax dollars from developer Federated Properties' projects. So, they teamed up to write a letter asking state officials to examine the brownfield site.

"I don't believe (our letter is) going to stop this project,” said Maxbauer. "I hope we get a review of the process.”

http://www.record-eagle.com/2007/may/03brownletter.htm