2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 1 Feb 2007 02:34:13 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Trinity Uptown project, Fort Worth, Texas

What lurks beneath?

By MAX B. BAKER
Fort Worth Star-Telegram (TX)
January 31, 2007

FORT WORTH -- "Toxic" is not how Bud Brumley would describe his building on North Main Street.

Since moving in seven years ago, Brumley has yanked out a hydraulic jack left over from the days when his 1930s building was a garage. Brumley Printing's presses don't use dangerous chemicals, and any leftover ink is stored in barrels and disposed of properly.

So it came as a surprise when Brumley learned his property is among 79 potentially contaminated sites in the path of the sweeping Trinity Uptown project.

"We had the jack dug up and the soil tested. I'm surprised to be on the list," Brumley said. "Some of our employees may glow in the dark, but the soil is not going to."

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/community/16587383.htm