2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 7 Jan 2007 22:10:46 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Hitachi property, Montcalm County, Michigan

Montcalm County: Panel targets tainted sites

By Susie Fair
The Grand Rapids Press (MI)
January 5, 2007

MONTCALM COUNTY -- A Brownfield Redevelopment Authority is aimed at giving contaminated sites in the county a new lease on life.

"Our first task will be to identify sites that are candidates for the program, be it abandoned gas stations or manufacturing facilities," said Franz Mogdis, the authority's new executive director. "With that done, we can seek financial assistance from the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) to fund environmental cleanup in hopes of making them suitable for new businesses and industries."

Mogdis said the former Hitachi Magnetics Corp. complex in Edmore is among the 30 or so sites that will be targeted by the Brownfield board, comprised of municipal leaders from Edmore, Greenville, Carson City, Lakeview, Howard City and Pierson. Greenville's defunct Electrolux factory probably will be added to the list as well, he said.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ssf?/base/news-1/1168012382275250.xml&coll=6