2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Sharon Barr <sharonpbarr@earthlink.net>
Date: 27 Oct 2006 03:24:48 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] Subsidies

As someone who has worked in both the public economic development sector and also in the private sector as a developer of challenged sites, I have found the dialogue interesting and dealing with important issues of public subsidy that go beyond "brownfields" issues.
Brownfields subsidies are often, though not always, treated in the public policy world as a subset of the larger world of economic development subsidy. This is sometimes appropriate, sometimes not because the ultimate goals of brownfields remediation and reuse may not be tied to traditional economic development goals (ie job creation, tax base increase).
As a non-economist, I approach all government subsidy relating to real estate and economic development with the question: is the government money needed to kick start economic activity where a market is weak or nonexistent? In other words, is public money necessary to "level the playing field" in a particular area? The answer may be "yes" for a whole host of reasons, contamination of property being just one of them, As someone who has had to make decisions about how much to spend where, I can tell you that it is very hard to come up with a perfect formula that also works in the dirty nitty-gritty world of political influence and decisionmaking. One cannot underestimate the role of politics in this arena--whether good, bad or indifferent, just not mathematical. Having said that, I also operate from the belief that most, if not all, public sector people want to do the right thing and that developers will simply take advantage of what is offered.
It is also important to separate real estate development policies from economic development. Economic development subsidies should be focused on creating economic activity in a region, based on the natural and human resources available. Real estate development subsidies should be focused on the locational issues relating to a particular piece of property and how the property fits into a comprehensive development plan for a community. Often a real estate developer's goal is not creating jobs in the traditional economic development sense. How job creation relates to the availability of specific real estate--whether brownfields or not-- is a particularly local issue. The discussion or brownfields subsidies often conflates the two.

Sharon Barr