2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "peter " <petestrauss1@comcast.net>
Date: 26 Oct 2006 23:09:52 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: RE: FW: [CPEO-BIF] Subsidies

I look at the brownfields issue from afar, but I had thought that by the
very nature of the Brownfields Program, developers obtain some sort of
public "subsidy", whether it be in the form of site characterization,
reduced liability etc. From my own limited experience in the San Francisco
Bay Area, brownfields programs addressed how to ease the financial burden of
cleaning up and developing un-used contaminated urban properties.

Perhaps I am missing something? Perhaps someone could explain what makes a
property qualify as a Brownfield with a capital B, not merely an abandoned
contaminated property in an urban area, without it first receiving some sort
of subsidy.

Peter Strauss