2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 20 Jun 2005 22:57:00 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] The value of the annual National Brownfields Conference

Submitted by Evans Paull EPaull@baltimoredevelopment.com

I would add a couple points to those made by others. My comments are from the point of view of the experience-level of the participants.

First, I would start from the point of view of rookie or less-experienced brownfields staff - the national conference is an extraordinary educational opportunity for those who have been recently assigned to a brownfields-related job. I would speculate that almost no one is adequately prepared for brownfields work by virtue of their college or grad school education. Brownfields is very inter-disciplinary, involving environmental protection, business/economic development, real estate, public policy, geology, and law. A newly-assigned brownfields staff person may have strength in one or two of these disciplines, but they will find much to learn in the other areas, and the national conference is a really important way to get that exposure.

Second, from the point of view of the more experienced brownfields staff (myself included), the conference never fails to get my creative juices flowing. No, I don't need the primer on environmental insurance, but every conference produces some new ideas, new contacts, new ways to address old problems. Let me offer up just one example: through the conference I have met and exchanged cards with a number of businesses that offer products/services related to fixed price/insurance-backed remediation. I am now organizing a meeting of local brownfields interests, and I'm inviting each of the these service providers to make short presentations - a little match-making exercise that just might lead to a project getting done that otherwise would have failed.

To generalize from this, the conference is a way for us to become aware of resources, programs, and policies that we may not be aware of, but that help us do our jobs better.

KEEP IT ANNUAL!!!!

Ev Paull, Director of the Brownfields Initiative
Baltimore Development Corp.
36 S. Charles St - suite 1600
Baltimore, MD 21201
410-837-9310, ext 317
epaull@baltimoredevelopment.com
visit the brownfields section of the BDC website:
www.baltimoredevelopment.com/initiatives_brownfields.html

-- Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 http://www.cpeo.org