2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 20 Jun 2005 05:59:57 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Hillcrest vapor mitigation

Hillcrest cleanup costs may fall to businesses

BY TOM WILBER
Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin (NY
June 19, 2005

HILLCREST -- The cost of cleaning trichloroethylene (TCE) vapors affecting at least 100 properties in the center of this residential neighborhood is quickly nearing $500,000 -- a bill state officials expect to pass on to industry responsible for the pollution.

That includes Triple Cities Metal Finishing and CAE Electronics, companies that once operated neighboring factories on Nowlan Road, according to state Department of Environmental Conservation records.

The agency is not ruling out others.

"We know it will be those two, at a minimum, but we don't want to close the door," said Mary Jane Peachey, a regional engineer with the state Department of Environmental Conservation.

http://www.pressconnects.com/sunday/news/stories/ne061905s173530.shtml

-- Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 http://www.cpeo.org