2001 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: sarah.coffin@arch.gatech.edu
Date: 4 May 2001 17:32:47 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] Questions and concerns?

 From my vantage point, taking the social justice perspective, I would
agree that we have yet to see brownfield policies that are truly effective
in spurring redevelopment in the more problematic inner city
neighborhoods.  Given the market-based strategies of the state programs,
it's no wonder that the focus remains with the most marketable real
estate.  And, the EPA Pilot and Showcase Communities further encourage the
cherry-picking of the most attractive brownfield sites.  Unfortunately,
given the current policy climate, those neighborhoods that have the most
desperate need are usually the neighborhoods that remain neglected.

Any suggestions or insights?

___________________________________
Sarah Coffin
PhD Candidate
Graduate City and Regional Planning Program
204 Old Architecture Bldg.
Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, GA  30332-0155
404-373-4219 - Phone
404-894-1628 - Fax
sarah.coffin@arch.gatech.edu - email

"The important thing is to not stop questioning.
Curiosity has its own reason for existence."  Albert Einstein.