2000 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 16:04:51 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Economic Impact of Brownfields

Please respond directly to John Posey or the BIF
<cpeo-brownfields@igc.topica.com>

[Original message from (John Posey) <jposey@eden.rutgers.edu>]

I'm looking for any information available concerning the economic impact
of brownfields.

I'm working on the New Jersey Comparative Risk Project, a DEP funded
effort to assess the relative threats posed by different types of
environmental stressors.  I'm on the Socio-Economic Technical Work Group
which works specifically on economic impacts.  We have been directed to
concentrate on studying employment impacts, impacts on property values,
and monetary costs incurred.

Concerning brownfields, we are trying to answer these specific
questions:

1) How many jobs are lost in New Jersey because of brownfields?
2) What is the total amount of property value loss caused by
brownfields?
3) How much tax revenue in New Jersey is lost because of brownfields?

Brownfield experts have already explained to me the reasons that it may
be impossible to find valid numbers to answer the above questions.
Still, I would greatly appreciate hearing from  anyone who may have
information that might help us to address these questions.