1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Emery Graham <"egraham"@ci.wilmington.de.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 18:05:48 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: Request for Advise, Insight, Comment on Locating WoodBurningPower Plant in Urban Industrial Area

John,

Your email is very timely. I appreciate your working insights. All of your
constraints have been addressed this group; Philpower. We have some health
issues
to cover. This plant, located in the middle of the Northeast corridor, is
selling
liquified carbon dioxide to PraxAir and this makes the economics of this plant
work. Additionally they are located in an Enterprise Community which brings
tax
relief and credits, along with subsidized funding.

Our concerns are the impacts on the health of the surrounding community.
They are
in a heavily populated urban area. What's the smokestack emission content and
volume? How clean can that emission get; what's the state of the art
technology
for emission reduction and what's the technological innovation on the horizon?

Insight on the job impact is helpful. They're arguing 68 based on the fact
that
construction waste will be 40% of the fuel mix and they will be paid
tipping fees.
This plant is located midway between Boston and Richmond. Rail, truck, and
boat
access is readily available to the proposed plant site. In addition,
because they
will build on a concrete or asphalt base, they have proposed building at an
Amtrack maintenance facility that is also a brownfieds site. In doing so they
would remedy the site by capping the area of construction.

Any further comments, insights, or direction would be appreciated. What
kind of
neighbors would these plants be if they were in a heavily populated area? What
would they have to do to be good neighbors?

Emery