1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Cynthia Valencic <cvalencic@lewisweb.net>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 11:32:39 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: All Open Space Is Not Equal

I, too, have been trying to stay out of this discussion. But Lenny I have to
disagree with you. I think what was done was admirable and good. But since
the organization I'm with has worked for 20 years with low-income,
communities of color, your example can ONLY be considered an e.j. success
story, if the e.j. community was at the decision-making table with equal
power and equal consideration and made the decision that what happened in
Mountain View was what they wanted for their community! Open spaces,
greenways, bike trails, etc. are important, but not at the expense of the
community that is living there if that is not what they want for their area.

Cynthia Valencic

--
Legal Environmental Assistance Foundation, Inc. (LEAF)
1114 Thomasville Road, Suite E, Tallahassee, FL 32303-6290