1998 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Peter Strauss <pstrauss@igc.apc.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 10:18:06 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: Community Participation

Arlene,

I suggest adding another issue to your project: that is, what constitutes
community acceptance?  As communities gain power by being informed and
through advisory responsibilities, how does it make decisions that plans are
acceptable, or that there is disagreement within the community, or that the
community does not approve of the plan.  This issue is surely linked to how
to define the community.  I'm sure that one of the first things a developer
wants to know after it hears that a community is opposed or agrees with a
proposal, is how broad that opposition or support is.
Long ago (it seems), when I was employed by a large corporation, one of the
first things we would do in the environmental department after a new
proposal had been made was to conduct a "fatal flaw" analysis.  This
involved looking at environmental factors such as the existence of
endangered or threatened species as well as the how community about felt
about the project.  If we identified a fatal flaw in the proposal, it would
either have to be modified or dropped. I say this because I expect that a
smart developer does not go into a community wearing blindfolds, nor would
it be prudent to do so.  However, as communities take on a responsible role
in "deciding" whether a proposal meets its test, it should not only have
some objective criteria (e.g., the project must meet specified cleanup
standards), but also have a way of deciding to agree/disagree with the
proposal.  So far, I haven't seen any studies that define the manner in
which community organizations provide advice regarding decisions such as
those expected in Brownfield developments.

Peter Strauss