2018 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 20:34:31 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] FORMER SITES: "Feds open new probe into suspected military waste in South Patrick Shores [FL] area"

Feds open new probe into suspected military waste in South Patrick Shores area

by Jim Warmer
Florida Today
November 14, 2018

SOUTH PATRICK SHORES - After years of pleas from residents worried about increased cancer risk, state and federal environmental officials have opened a new investigation into whether military waste buried in the South Patrick Shores area poses significant health risks.

"We are in a sense, back where we were in 1991," said Sandra Sullivan, who recently dug up a rusty practice bomb, a transformer, what looks like an engine block, and other metal debris buried in her yard off Dorset Lane. "There is an odor coming out of my back yard now. I don't allow my kids in the back yard."

The recent federal and state commitments to re-examine groundwater contamination in the South Patrick Shores and Satellite Beach area culminates years of cajoling by local residents and activists, which in September drew a visit from famed environmental activist Erin Brockovich.

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/local/environment/2018/11/09/feds-open-new-probe-into-suspected-military-waste-south-patrick-shores-area/1940738002/

Executive Director