2018 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 21:23:46 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PFAS: Former Wurtsmith Air Force Base (MI)

PFAS-tainted foam 'getting worse' in waters near former Wurtsmith base

by Keith Matheny
Detroit Free Press (MI)
October 15, 2018

Foam loaded with the potentially health-harming "forever chemicals" known as PFAS — a major concern in a five-county area of the Huron River in southeast Michigan —also is coating growing swaths of the surface and shores of waters surrounding the former Wurtsmith Air Force Base in Oscoda, where the foam is now reaching Lake Huron.

But the U.S. Air Force is not acting to stop the contaminated groundwater plumes coming off the base that the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality has identified as the source of the foam.

Greg Cole has a front-row seat to surface water conditions on Van Etten Lake next to the former Wurtsmith base site: He operates the flood-control dam on the lake.

"I'm looking at the water all the time," he said. "I have to say (the foam) is getting worse."

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/10/15/pfas-tainted-foam-water-wurtsmith-oscoda/1592011002/

Executive Director