2018 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 08:13:48 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PFAS: "Former K.I. Sawyer Air Force Base [MI] tested for water and soil contamination"

Former K.I. Sawyer Air Force Base tested for water and soil contamination

By Korinne Griffith
U.P. Matters (MI)
May 9, 2018

GWINN -- The United States Air Force has spent the last four years testing water and soil samples at the former K.I. Sawyer Base for possible contamination.

AFFF or Aqueous Film-forming Foam, is commonly used on military bases across the country to smother flames from an aircraft crash, it was also used for training purposes until recently. Within AFFF are chemicals, known as PFAS, that are classified by the EPA as emerging contaminants.

Steve Schenden, Director of Operations, Sawyer International Airport, explains, "It's an emerging contaminant is what it's called because they're starting to find it being persistent and seeing it accumulate."

These contaminants can cause potential risk to human health and to the environment. There are two main chemical compounds of concern, PFOA and PFOS. AFFF was used at K.I. Sawyer and the chemicals have been found in the environment on base.

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.upmatters.com/news/local-news/former-ki-sawyer-air-force-base-tested-for-water-and-soil-contamination/1170402387

Executive Director