2018 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 15:56:53 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] CHEMWEAPONS, FORMER SITES: 91 Spring Valley, DC homes face screening

Exclusive: 91 homes in DC face testing for WWI chemical weapon remnants

By Neal Augenstein
WTOP News (Washington, DC)
March 9, 2018

WASHINGTON — Almost 100 of D.C.’s most expensive homes will soon be screened for remnants of chemical weapons which were test-fired during World War I, WTOP has learned.

Letters have been sent to 91 homeowners in the Spring Valley neighborhood, providing details of how the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will inspect their properties, as part of the decades-long cleanup of the World War I chemical weapons testing site on the grounds of American University.

During World War I, about 661 acres in the Northwest section of D.C. were used by the U.S. government for research and testing of chemical agents, equipment and munitions.

At the time, munitions were test fired from what the Army Corps calls the Spring Valley Formerly Used Defense Site.

…

For the entire story, see
https://wtop.com/dc/2018/03/exclusive-91-homes-dc-face-testing-wwi-chemical-weapon-fallout/

Executive Director