2018 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 22:40:58 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] RADIATION: Hanford, Washington cleanup technologies

Is there a cheaper way to treat Hanford radioactive waste? Northwest officials are wary

BY ANNETTE CARY
Tri-City Herald (WA)
March 4, 2018

Another round of looking at potentially less expensive options to treat the stew of radioactive and hazardous chemical waste stored in Hanford’s underground tanks has brought out the skeptic in some Northwest officials.

“Just once I’d like to hear ‘How can we do it better? How can we ensure protection for as long as these wastes remain hazardous?’” said Ken Niles, nuclear safety administrator for the Oregon Department of Energy.

Countless times since cleanup regulations were formulated in 1989, new political administrations and new U.S. Department of Energy officials have asked for a fresh look at options, saying that environmental cleanup at Hanford is taking too long and costing too much, Niles said.

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/local/hanford/article203465329.html

Executive Director