2018 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 20:14:29 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] FORMER SITES: Donaldson Air Force Base, SC

Former Donaldson Air Force Base remains polluted with toxic garbage, report says

By Andrew Moore
Greenville Journal (SC)
January 15, 2018

A new report from ProPublica, an independent nonprofit newsroom based in New York, shows that the former Donaldson Air Force Base in Greenville is one of six military bases statewide that pose a serious threat to the environment and human health.

…

Birdwell said the contamination at Donaldson stems from “small dump sites” used during World War II. “We didn’t have environmental science back then, so we just threw these materials into the ground and covered them with dirt.”

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has detected trace amounts of hazardous, toxic, and radioactive materials in the groundwater, soil, surface water, and sediment near the contaminated sites at Donaldson, according to ProPublica. That includes chromium, mercury, cadmium, and trichloroethylene, a carcinogenic cleaning agent that may affect the nervous system, liver, respiratory system, kidneys, blood, and more.

…

For the entire article, see
https://greenvillejournal.com/2018/01/15/former-donaldson-air-force-base-remains-polluted-toxic-garbage-report-says/

Executive Director