2017 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2017 20:40:38 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] MUNITIONS, GLOBAL: Proposed firing range at Litekyan, " Guam

Base cleanliness can hide contamination

by Michael Lujan Bevacqua
Pacific Daily News (GU)
September 28, 2017

I sat in the public hearing room of the Liheslaturan Guåhan last week to listen to testimony around Sen. Telena Nelson’s Resolution 228-43, which called for a halt to the construction of a firing range at Litekyan. Several dozen people testified, over the course of five hours, nearly all in favor of the resolution.

The testimonies created a complex, beautiful portrait of our island, its history and its present. Those testifying represented numerous ethnicities, age groups and political affiliations. What was most touching for me was the way love for a place and desire to protect something for future generations brought together such a diverse group around common themes - respect for the environment, respect for Guam’s indigenous people and their heritage.

…

For the entire column, see
http://www.guampdn.com/story/opinion/columnists/2017/09/28/bevacqua-base-cleanliness-can-hide-contamination/707216001/

Executive Director