2017 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2017 09:37:46 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] GLOBAL: Guam

In Guam, the Gravest Threat Isn’t North Korea — It’s the United States

By Leilani Ganser
Foreign Policy in Focus
August 10, 2017

This past Fourth of July, while I listened to the fireworks outside the Capitol building, my phone started buzzing with news alerts. North Korea, they said, had tested an intercontinental ballistic missile. Headlines emphasized that it could supposedly reach Alaska.

But much closer than Alaska is the tiny island of Guam - a U.S. colonial possession in the Pacific long exploited as a military base. My grandmother was born there, and much of my family remains. At just 30 miles long and 8 miles wide, Guam is often called “the unsinkable aircraft carrier,” as a third of the island is covered in military bases.

Today, with the Japanese long gone and the Soviet Union dissolved, the island still faces a battery of live-fire military ammunition with no foreseeable end. But the immediate danger doesn’t come from North Korean missiles. It comes from the United States military, which freely uses the Pacific territory as its own private firing rage.

…

For the entire article, see
http://fpif.org/in-guam-the-gravest-threat-isnt-north-korea-its-the-united-states/

Executive Director