2017 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 22:59:07 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Munitions: World War I-ERA Ordnance Found along Jersey Shore

WORLD WAR I-ERA ORDNANCE FOUND ALONG JERSEY SHORE

by Jay Cook
Two River Times (NJ)
March 19, 2017

Over 300 pieces of military-grade ordnance, each no larger than a pocket-sized ChapStick, were recovered along beaches in three Shore towns, and ultimately disposed of safely.

The beach towns of Loch Arbour, Allenhurst and Deal had been the site of a post-Sandy coastal storm risk management project spearheaded by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), which began in 2015.

Sand pumped onto those beaches for the replenishment was riddled with hundreds of fusing components for World War I-era artillery, unbeknownst to the USACE.

…

For the entire article, see
http://tworivertimes.com/world-war-i-era-ordinance-found-along-jersey-shore/

Executive Director