2016 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 13:56:47 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PFCs: "Expert: PFC levels in water should be 1 part per trillion"

Expert: PFC levels in water should be 1 part per trillion

By Anne Freedman
Bucks County Courier Times (PA)
September 18, 2016

The safe levels of perfluorinated compounds (PFCs) in drinking water should be 1 part per trillion, according to a researcher who studies the impact of the contaminants on health.

At present, the EPA has determined water is safe with 70 parts per trillion levels of perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) and perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS).

“They may have to revisit that,” said Richard Clapp, an epidemiologist and professor emeritus of environmental health at Boston University, who spoke via Skype to more than 100 residents at a public meeting sponsored by the People for Clean Water at the former Johnsville Naval Development Center in Warminster. The base was also known as the Naval Air Warfare Center.

Clapp noted that an advisory group within the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection just proposed a contaminant level of 14 parts per trillion. “I think that’s getting closer to what we need. That would be the lowest drinking water level of any state in the United States.”

He noted, however, that “we think there are (health) effects even at that level.”

http://www.buckscountycouriertimes.com/news/horsham-pfos/expert-pfc-levels-in-water-should-be-part-per-trillion/article_a3064b80-3d52-5b98-b828-bb0ae92df4fa.html

Note: The publication provides free Internet content only for a limited period.

Voice/Fax: 650/961-8918