2016 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 22:54:08 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PFCs: "Foam caused shutdown of drinking wells at Wright-Patterson [Air Force Base, OH] ..."

Firefighting foam under fire for link to water contamination, injuries
Foam caused shutdown of drinking wells at Wright-Patterson and will no longer be used at the base. Defense Department has launched a nationwide investigation.

By Barrie Barber
Dayton Daily News (OH)
September 11, 2016

WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE - A fire suppressant foam linked to the shutdown of two drinking water wells at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base injured a firefighter during a training incident and the Defense Department has launched an investigation to determine how widespread the problem is across the nation.

The firefighter, Michael R. Strouse, was injured when piping inside a fire cab ruptured and shot the chemical at high pressure into his eyes, he said.

“My face was chemically burned and my eyes were really blood shot and they were sore,” Strouse said in an interview with this newspaper. “Then the next day I was actually taken off the job.”

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/news/firefighting-foam-linked-to-water-contamination-in/nsWg3/

Voice/Fax: 650/961-8918