2015 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 10:00:15 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] REUSE: Pease Air Force Base (NH), "From ghost town to boom town"

>From ghost town to boom town

By Howard Altschiller
Foster's Daily Democrat (NH)
June 29. 2015

Judd Gregg took office as governor of New Hampshire on Jan. 4, 1989. The next day, Jan. 5, the Department of Defense announced the closure of Pease Air Force Base, located on land in Portsmouth, Newington and Greenland, New Hampshire.

“The first week I was in office we figured out we had a $30 million deficit,” Gregg said in a recent interview with Pease Quarterly. “Public Service Company (of New Hampshire) had filed for bankruptcy, the first utility to do that since 1930. In that same week the first BRAC Commission announced that the first base closure in the nation would be Pease Air Force Base. Then five out of the seven largest banks failed.”

When the closure was announced Pease AFB had 3,460 military employees and 1,090 civilian employees, the Air Force reported. With dependents, the total base-related population numbered approximately 10,715.

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.fosters.com/article/20150629/NEWS/150629321

278-A Hope Street