2014 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 22:53:32 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] REUSE: "Google backing Earth, Air & Space Collaboratory at Moffett" Field, CA

[Disclosure: I was a founding member the EASEF Board. I resigned this summer when I announced my candidacy for city council, to eliminate any perception of a potential conflict of interest. - LS]

Google backing Earth, Air & Space Collaboratory at Moffett

by Andrea Gemmet
Mountain View Voice (CA)
November 11, 2014

An ambitious plan for a museum and collaborative educational space at Moffett Field is taking shape, thanks to Google's lease deal with NASA for Hangar One and the Moffett Federal Airfields property. On Tuesday, the nonprofit Earth, Air & Space Educational Foundation announced that it is receiving financial support from Google to create an Earth, Air & Space Collaboratory at Moffett Field.

NASA's lease with Google subsidiary Planetary Ventures was signed Monday, months after the announcement that Google would be awarded the lease and would take over the running of roughly 1,000 acres of Moffett Field, including Hangars One, Two and Three, an airfield flight operations building, two runways and a private golf course. Along with a requirement to restore and rehabilitate the historic hangars, the lease called for the creation of "an educational facility where the public can explore the site's legacy and the role of technology in the history of Silicon Valley."

The Earth, Air & Space Educational Foundation, largely made up of members of the Save Hangar One Committee and the Moffett Field Restoration Advisory Board, has been working since 2010 to muster support for the creation of a kind of "Smithsonian West" at Moffett.

For the entire article, see
http://www.mv-voice.com/news/2014/11/11/google-backing-earth-air--space-collaboratory-at-moffett

278-A Hope Street
Mountain View, CA 94041