2014 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 21:00:19 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] MUNITIONS: Vieques and Culebra (PR) in Defense Appropriations bill

Serrano steps up for Vieques, Culebra

Caribbean Business (PR)
June 9, 2014

U.S. Rep. José E. Serrano has inserted two provisions into the annual defense appropriations bill that will force the Department of Defense to submit reports on plans for the final cleanup of Vieques and Culebra and list all types of explosives used during live-fire training on the former military bombing ranges on the two offshore island towns.

Long an advocate for the full restoration of Vieques and Culebra, the Mayaguez-born Bronx Democrat said he felt the cleanups were falling behind schedule, that information was lacking, and that full accountability on both was needed.

"While I am glad this legislative language will move the cleanup forward, I am disheartened that it continues to take congressional action to ensure the Defense Department complies with its promises," Serrano said. "The areas used by the military in Vieques and Culebra suffered extreme environmental degradation in their years as Defense Department property. Since the agreement was reached to restore them and return them to a state of environmental health, Puerto Ricans have waited for an expected date when the work will be over. I hope that through this legislative language we might have a final plan and end date."

http://www.caribbeanbusinesspr.com/news/serrano-steps-up-for-vieques- culebra-97737.html