2013 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 00:35:15 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] REUSE, RADIATION: "Navy cleanup forces dozens to move on Treasure Island" (CA)

Navy cleanup forces dozens to move on Treasure Island

John Wildermuth
San Francisco Chronicle
December 2, 2013

About two dozen families are being forced from their Treasure Island homes so the Navy can clean up toxic material buried in the old waste disposal site beneath the townhouse units.

"A letter we got last week was the first we heard of it," said Paris Hayes, who has lived in his Bayside Drive unit for more than 10 years.

The residents will be moved out in stages, with the first group leaving in April and the last gone by July.

The affected residents of the six targeted buildings will meet with Treasure Island officials Tuesday night to learn details of the relocation plan and to express concerns about the effort. While the island is owned by the Navy, there is an agreement once the cleanup is completed to turn it over to the city for a $1.5 billion residential-commercial development.

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Navy-cleanup-forces-dozens-to-move-on-Treasure-5029425.php

278-A Hope Street