2011 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 11:46:07 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] HEALTH: Randy White "calls attention to Fort Detrick [MD] contamination"

A death from cancer, and a search for answers
Frederick native calls attention to Fort Detrick contamination

By Matthew Hay Brown and Timothy B. Wheeler
Baltimore Sun (MD)
October 8, 2011

FREDERICK - Randy White had just buried a daughter, dead at 30 with a brain tumor. Now his other daughter had been diagnosed with growths in her abdomen.

When doctors told White in 2009 that their conditions were likely caused by something in their environment, the Frederick native thought of Fort Detrick. His children had grown up near the Army base.

Detrick was home to the nation's biological weapons program from the 1940s through the 1960s. It remains a key center for medical research.

"Anybody that lives in Frederick knows all the rumors," White says. "It's kind of like, 'Fort Detrick, they created anthrax, we knew that, smallpox â' It just clicked for me."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-fort-detrick- contamination-20111008,0,1673050.story