2011 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 08:35:54 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] FUEL: Kirtland Air Force Base (NM) meeting about jet fuel cleanup

[Note: Albuquerque Journal articles are available to non-subscribers on a one-time only basis. - LS]

Dozens Pack Meeting on Underground Jet Fuel

By Astrid Galvan
Albuquerque Journal  (NM)
May 04, 2011

A crowd of about 60 Southeast Heights residents challenged Air Force, city and state officials Tuesday night about the cleanup of underground jet fuel that originated at Kirtland Air Force Base.

At one of a series of public meetings Tuesday, talk centered on the ongoing efforts to determine the extent of contamination and the best way to remove it.

"We recognize there's nothing good about millions of gallons of fuel in the ground or water," said Tom Berardinelli, the 377th Air Base Wing director of staff. "It is not our intention to make light of this."

The three-hour meeting, held at the Cesar Chavez Community Center, was hosted by the New Mexico Environment Department and included leaders from the city, the Water Utility Authority and Kirtland.

http://www.abqjournal.com/news/metro/04231335974newsmetro05-04-11.htm