2011 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 09:06:18 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] EXPANSION: Lease proposal for Melrose Range (NM)

State planning to lease range land to Air Force

Sharna Johnson
Clovis News-Journal (NM)
April 6, 2011

The state has determined it would rather be a landlord than a seller when it comes to use of state lands for expansion of the Melrose Range for the Air Force, citing more revenue for education and surplus money for Cannon Air Force Base projects.

A long-term leasing arrangement to get the Air Force the land it needs for expansion of the range is the ideal situation for everyone and it’s the new course for the project, said State Public Lands Commissioner Ray Powell.

"We're on the lease track now ... There does not seem to be an impediment to doing the long-term lease, so I would say all of the emphasis is being put on the long-term lease," he said Tuesday. "From our stand point that really ensures that the school children retain that property forever (so) it creates a win-win for the military and the community."

http://www.cnjonline.com/articles/force-42742-air-state.html

278-A Hope Street, Mountain View, CA 94041
Voice: 650-961-8918 or 650-969-1545
Fax: 650-961-8918