2010 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 08:48:43 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] GLOBAL: Former CFS Sydney Radar Site, Nova Scotia, Canada

News Release
Department of National Defence (Canada)
December 9, 2010

Department of National Defence Continues Work to Clean Up Former CFS Sydney

The Department of National Defence (DND) is continuing work to clean up former CFS Sydney, also known as Pine Tree Park. The Former CFS Sydney Underground Storage Tank Remediation Project is currently in the process of removal and disposal of contaminated soil left over from then when the Station was in active use.

"The Department of National Defence is continuing our work to ensure that this site is returned to conditions where it can be fully utilized by members of the Sydney community," said the Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence. "We look forward to seeing the project completed and put the land to new and better use."

The CFS Sydney Main Radar Site was originally built as a United States Air Force Base in 1953 and transferred to the Royal Canadian Air Force in 1961. The station was decommissioned in 1992 and sold to the County of Cape Breton, who in turn sold it to New Dawn Enterprises Limited (Cape Breton, N.S.).

For the entire release, see
http://pr-usa.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=560208&Itemid=34