2010 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 14:17:59 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] REUSE, BIOTA: Caddo Lake Refuge @ Longhorn Ammo Plant (TX)

Fish and Wildlife and Army are working on Caddo refuge agreement

Terri Richardson
Marshall News Messenger (TX)
June 17, 2010

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the U.S Army are negotiating an agreement for the Caddo Lake National Wildlife Refuge to take administrative control of unpolluted surface areas following last Friday's Restoration Advisory Board meeting, said refuge manager Mark Williams.

"We found some common grounds, and we think we might be able to move forward on some kind of agreement where the Fish and Wildlife Service takes over administrative control the surface area of about 1,400 acres with the Army focusing on the (polluted) groundwater," said Williams.

Central to a May 20, community meeting over the future of plans for transfer of additional acreage from the Army to the Caddo Lake National Wildlife Refuge was present-day use of the refuge for recreation.

Another issue raised by the public during that meeting was the possibility of the Army transferring the remaining portions of the former plant to a third party, complete with water rights for up to 20 acre-feet of Caddo Lake, which is recognized as Ramsar wetland of international importance.

http://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/news/article_245c3b8c-7a11-11df-b4f3-001cc4c002e0.html