2010 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 08:18:48 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PERCHLORATE: Redstone (AL) explosion process described

Tragedy probed to prevent repeat

Officials request patience during investigation of May 5 explosion

By Kelley Lane Sivley
Alabama Live
May 19, 2010,

Two Redstone Arsenal events - one a May 10 press conference, the other a May 13 memorial service - were part of the grieving process in the acceptance of the deaths of two Team Redstone employees involved in high-risk research and development.

"In the past, the ammonium perchlorate still had particulates of other items from the propellant. We were not able to reuse it. We were refining the AP one more time to remove those impurities out," Turner said. "We had run several runs of this (particular) process and had gotten quality AP out. We were making necessary adjustments before making the transition (to using the process in demilitarization activities)."

If ammonium perchlorate is to be recycled, it needs to be in a pure form.

"They were trying to get the ammonium perchlorate as pure as they possibly could," Myles added. "As it becomes pure it has more value for warheads and agricultural purposes. Other processes (in the past) were really not a clean process at all ... They were repeating a process that had occurred before. We need to find out why this time the explosion occurred."

http://blog.al.com/redstone-rocket/2010/05/tragedy_probed_to_prevent_repe.html