2010 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 23:55:11 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] REUSE: Ft. McClellan (AL) "on the move"

A heartfelt ode to McClellan's future

by Jerry L. Smith
Anniston Star (AL)
April 25, 2010

In the early days of base closure at Fort McClellan, I wrote in an area newspaper that the changes were occurring smoothly, but the real test would come when it was time for our local governments to agree on property divisions - dividing the spoils - and oversee leadership as the base was vacated.

As a military post of long standing, the base was so important; it employed many workers, generating prolific local revenues. Public support for the base was high, with thousands of areas of land and the many activities producing a giant, valuable footprint.

Somewhat surprisingly, the political jurisdictions went to work in good faith. Eventually, they created an appointive body, the Joint Powers Authority, as the replacement for the first Reuse and Redevelopment Authority. I was one of the early appointees, serving as a representative for the mayors in Calhoun County.

For the entire column, see
http://annistonstar.com/view/full_story/7183436/article-A-heartfelt-ode-to-McClellan-s-future?instance=opinion_lead