2010 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 19:01:12 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] MUNITIONS: Viequenses (PR) protest burning, detonation

Vieques residents give EQB 'ultimatum' on cleanup

by Juan A. Hernandez
Puerto Rico Daily Sun
March 11, 2010

A group of Vieques residents delivered an ultimatum Wednesday to Environmental Quality Board President Pedro J. Nieves, demanding that the agency take charge and stop the controlled burning of vegetation and the surface detonation of bombs and munitions left on the island after decades of military maneuvers by the Navy.

"Since they [the EQB] have not paid any attention to our claims ... and since there is abundant information demonstrating that contamination continues on Vieques, it is our duty to put pressure on the government," Vieques activist Ismael Guadalupe said at EQB headquarters. "I think the possibility of us being heard is vanishing, so we will have to do whatever is necessary for us to protect our children."

The island is a Superfund site and the cleanup is being
done by the military, with the oversight of the Environmental Protection Agency and EQB.

http://www.prdailysun.com/news/Vieques-residents-give-EQB-ultimatum-on-cleanup